20210622

Poetic Lines to B B Beddome


On 1796 Francis wrote a letter to Benjamin Beddome that ended with these poetic lines

You angry No no your resentment I deem
The sparks that arise from your ardent esteem
Which die in a trice though they bounce as they fly
While Friendship burns constant and never can die
'Tis I at myself should be angry not you
For losing the pleasure I once had in view
Of spending more time with my friend while in town
Which duty prevented and therefore don t frown
Come visit my cot and we ll make up the breach
Forgiveness you practise forgiveness I preach
The company bustle and noise of the town
The free conversation of intimates drown
Calm Horsley not London affords a retreat
Where we our sweet interviews best may repeat
With love to your whole self my service to you
I close my epistle and bid you Adieu.

No comments:

Post a Comment