20210621

Flint on the Piety of Francis

Flint says that Francis's views of religion,
... together with the tenderest sympathy for man, prompted him to those exertions he constantly made for God. The value of the souls of men made such an impression upon his mind, that he could never be at ease in idleness. He was always "fervent in spirit, serving the Lord." If at home in his family, he would ever be employed, one way or other, in exemplifying and promoting religion. And those who were blessed with the closest connexion with this excellent man, so as to have formed a part of his household, cannot recollect his spending an hour in social conversation, without introducing religious subjects. And as though his greatest happiness consisted in such discourse, they could not but notice what a pleasing lustre would brighten up his countenance, as soon as the social intercourse was turned into a holy channel. And what indicated still more fully the vigorous exercise of grace in his soul, was his stated topic of conversation. He was uniformly aiming at the glory of God, in the subjection of the whole heart to his dominion. And whenever the more subordinate concerns of religion had been insisted on for a season, he would be anxious to recur to those of still higher importance. In his visits to his people, (which were as frequent as their wide dispersion round the country would admit), however short a time he stayed, the great end of the gospel was always briefly explained. He literally tarried in each house till he had sketched a portrait of a good man, into which be would always introduce features well designed to correct those counterfeit traits, which he knew deformed the religion of too many professors.
Flint goes on to say that Francis adopted a method, which he probably took the hint for from Cotton Mather, of proposing questions to himself every morning of the week, to assist him in the best method of doing good in all his connections.

Lord's Day morning. - What can I do more for God, in the promotion of religion, in the church over which I am pastor?
Monday. - What can I do for my family, as a husband, a father, or a master?
Tuesday. - What good can I do for my relations abroad?
Wednesday. - What good can I do in the societies of which I am a member?
Thursday. - What good shall I do for the churches of Christ at large?
Friday. - What special subjects of affliction, and objects of pity, may I take under my particular care? and what shall I do for them?
Saturday. - What more have I to do for the interest of God in my own heart and life?

No comments:

Post a Comment